null
Finally, a drone with a cockpit...

Finally, a drone with a cockpit...

By on Jan 10 2015



Have you flown your friend's drone yet?

90% of your efforts will likely end up with you crashing the miniature copter into a tree, or a lightpost, or a brick wall, or a human being. However, the other 10%? Fun as can be.

For Chinese drone-maker (a title truly and only fit for 2016) Ehang Inc., there was something always slightly amiss about the whole thing. And, suddenly, the lightbulb flickered on.

Capable of flying at a maximum of 63 miles per hour for 23 minutes, the new human-friendly drone from the gadgets company is officially the coolest and most dangerous thing to come along since those shoes with little wheels on them. (Those were cool, right?)

Image from Ehang Inc. website.
Image from Ehang Inc. website.

This machine is capable of reaching a maximum altitude of 11, 500 feet!

Planning to sell the device in the $200,000 - $300,000 price range, Ehang Inc.'s incredible machine can hold, curiously, one person and a small backpack " according to Ryan Nakashima of phys.org. The cabin also contains a reading light and air conditioning.

Though the peripherals are scant, the manufacturers of the Microsoft Surface-controlled machine are clearly banking on the flight capabilities; yet, there is one catch should the Surface fail, there are no backup controls for the pilot. Instead, Ehang Inc. has planned to build a remote control center " that would take over the vehicle, ensuring its safe landing. Furthermore, should a propeller become damaged:



One thing that makes quad-copters safer than helicopters are its numerous propellers, [Chief Marketing Officer Derrick] Xiong said. Even if three of the four arms have their six propellers disabled, the final arm's working propellers can ensure a rough landing by spiraling toward the ground, he said.
drone3
Image from Ehang Inc. website.

Though Xiong left out the details of what the phrase ensure a rough landing " actually means, the machine is in early development, so a lot of the details were breezed over when the machine was shown at the CES gadget show in Las Vegas Convention Center, Jan. 6 th. Check out more at www.ehang.com and check out the original article here by Ryan Nakashima.


You might also be interested in:


Should You Buy Race Fuel or Just Fuel Additives?
by Petroleum Service Company on May 22 2024

When it comes to enhancing your vehicle's performance, the choice between race fuel and fuel additiv…
Engine Optimization
The Truth Behind '303' Tractor Fluids
by Petroleum Service Company on May 15 2024

Did you know that John Deere's "303" Tractor Fluid specification became obsolete over 45 years ago? …
Gulf Lubricants
Do Electric Cars Need Engine Oil?
by Petroleum Service Company on Apr 29 2024

Unlike gas-powered and hybrid cars, electric vehicles don't require engine oil. Since e…
electric cars
Bizrate 2023 Platinum Seven Time Winner